16. UCF – I haven’t had a high opinion of Texas or UCF this season. The Longhorns proved me right. The Knights proved me wrong. I have been high on Tulane and UCF handled them. The Green Wave made a late push but it never really felt like the game was in doubt.
17. Kansas State – The Wildcats bounced back in a big way after their loss to Texas, throttling the Baylor Bears in their own house. If they win out, they get a shot at TCU in the Big 12 Championship game. Clemson fans: you should also start pulling for the Kansas State Wildcats. If Baylor can’t get the job done this weekend, K-State might become our best friends soon.
18. Washington – The Huskies have bounced back following a down 2021 when they fell far short of expectations. The win against Oregon indicates they are hitting their stride at the right time. Penix is playing very well. It almost seems too good. Colorado shouldn’t pose much of a threat, but the Apple Cup is the following week at Wazzu.
19. Notre Dame – The Irish survived against Navy. It was a classic hangover game, but the Midshipmen didn’t have quite enough juice to make a comeback. This week Notre Dame hosts Boston College in a classic lookahead game before they take on the Trojans in Week 13. BC just upset NC State. Just sayin’.
20. Florida State – I’m glad Clemson played them earlier in the season. The Seminoles are starting to play very good football. It’s not the same competition as they had during their mid-season gauntlet, but they are smokin’ their opponents right now.