Projections for #21-25
21. Liberty: Liberty was finally ranked in the AP poll this week, and I think they will get respect from the CFP committee too.
22. NC State: NC State is a team that would be dinged by the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament committee because they are supposed to take into consideration how major injuries could impact a team’s chance to compete. The CFP has a different charge. They are not supposed to project. They will only look at what the Wolfpack has done, not what they expect them to do.
23. Oregon State: Oregon State is another late addition to the AP Top 25, and I expect they will also be in the CFP rankings.
24. Maryland: Maryland is a team that has not been recognized by the AP voters yet, but I suspect will be ranked by the committee. Maryland’s resume has been strong for a few weeks now.
25. Washington: Washington has been in and out of the AP Top 25 much of this season, so it makes sense that they would be just on the edge of the rankings.
Like many have said before, the difference between No. 20 and No. 30 can be quite thin at many times, so I wouldn’t be shocked if I got some of these wrong. Cincinnati or Syracuse could easily find themselves in these rankings.