Clemson Football is gearing up for the state championship against the South Carolina Gamecocks. Clemson is 7-4, and South Carolina is 5-6, but this year’s game has some real juice, even if the national casuals don’t realize it.
Clemson was embarrassed last season in their own house. The final score didn’t tell the whole story of how the Tigers fell apart after having a big lead.
South Carolina’s season has been very frustrating for fans, and the Gamecocks need a win over Clemson if they want to go bowling this year.
Mitchell Grant (@FranklyHoward), who writes for Shakin The Southland, asked this question on X:
I immediately answered with one of my favorite YouTube videos of all time:
November 22, 2003: Clemson 63, South Carolina 17 – Touchdown Chad Jasmin
It was Tommy Bowden’s fifth season. Charlie Whitehurst was the quarterback, and he had a bevy of names around him that veteran fans remember:
- The late, great Gaines Adams
- Airese Currie
- Derrick Hamilton
- Chansi Stuckey, who started at quarterback before he moved to receiver. Today he is the wide receivers coach at Notre Dame.
- Two guys on my Clemson All-Time Names team: Maurice Fountain and Jamaal Fudge
- Some guy named Tony Elliott
- Some other guy named Donnell Clark
- This other guy named Reggie Merriweather
Then, of course, the name that is cemented in my brain primarily because of this video: Touchdown Chad Jasmin. If he hasn’t legally changed his first name to Touchdown, he should.
There were several other suggestions on Mitchell’s post, particularly from @TheTopRow. This sent me down the rabbit hole.