In addition to Tre Lamar, the Clemson football defense also picked up another talented linebacker in Shaq Smith.
More from Clemson Football
- Clemson Football: Q&A with Florida State experts at Chop Chat
- Clemson Football needs their biggest stars to shine against Florida State
- Clemson Football: Receiver by committee could work for the Tigers
- No reason for Clemson Football to fear a Seminole takeover
- Clemson Football: One Quick Thing – The Tigers don’t see cupcakes
Smith was the more highly-touted linebacker coming out of high school, but has certainly had his ups-and-downs since arriving on campus.
After spring, Smith was listed as the co-backup behind Ben Boulware with J.D. Davis. Personally, I believe that he will take over that backup spot before it’s all said and done, but we may not see him a lot because of his starter.
However, Smith could be the difference in this year’s defense and last year’s.
Hopefully, he and Davis can prove to be viable backups and keep Ben Boulware fresh instead of having him play 98% of the snaps as he did last year and, as a result, making him lose his legs and strength by the end of the season.
Next: Xavier Kelly